ASTM F2200 Gate Construction Standard
ASTM International, formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), is a globally recognized leader in the development and delivery of international voluntary standards.
ASTM F2200 vs UL 325 standard
ASTM F2200 is the standard that applies to automated vehicular gates, particularly gate construction. It also includes other parts of the gate system including – positive stops, rollers, hinges and guides. ASTM F2200 assumes gates will be installed with UL325 compliant gate operates. So ASTM F2200 should comply with UL325.
A fully compliant automated vehicular gate system is one in which products conform to UL 325 and ASTM F2200 standards and are installed according to manufacturers instructions.
This specification establishes the performance-based and prescriptive-based methods of evaluating various classes of automated gate constructions that are used for vehicular traffic.
Addressed Gate Types in ASTM F2200
The 5 gate type classification addressed include:
- horizontal slide gates,
- horizontal swing gates,
- vertical lift gates,
- vertical pivot gates,
- and overhead pivot gates.
Conversely, the four classes of gates covered here are as follows:
- Class I: one-to-four single family dwelling;
- Class II: commercial location or building (multi-family housing, hotel, retail store) – location servicing the general public;
- Class III: industrial location (factory, loading dock area) – locations not intended to service the general public;
- Class IV: guarded industrial location (airport security area) – restricted access locations not servicing the general public and supervised by security.
PROVISIONS APPLICABLE ACCORDING TO GATE TYPES
General provisions applicable to All Gate Types examples include:
- Gates need auxiliary supports, preventing it from falling over more than 45 degrees.
- No protrusion greater than ½ inch on the bottom of the gate.
- No protrusion may have sharp edges.
- Allowable protrusions are top pickets and top decorative designs; gate locks, wheels and positive stops and bottom retainers.
- Barbed wire cannot be installed at a height lower than 6 feet.
- All gate latches disabled.
- The gate must be balanced – it won’t open or close on its own when disconnected from the operator.
Other provisions are included based on each specific type of gate. Here are some examples of these provisions:
Vehicular Horizontal Slide Gates
- All rollers should be covered or guarded.
- No openings greater than 2 ¼ inches.
- All gaps between the gate and a stationary object must be less than 2 ¼ inches or greater than 16 inches from the gate frame.
- Positive stops are required.
- Gates must be stable enough to properly enter receiver guide.
- Receiver guide must be recessed behind the leading edge of the receiver post.
Vehicular Horizontal Swing Gates
- Gates must be installed in a manner that does not create an entrapment area.
- The gate must be hinged so that it cannot create an area in excess of four inches between the gate and the hinge pivot point.
- The gate may not come within 16 inches of a stationary object while in the fully opened position.
Benefits – ASTM F2200 GATE CONSTRUCTION STANDARD
- Compliance:Gate operators meeting the 2016 Underwriters Laboratories’ UL 325 standards, and products ensure that your gates have the best in-class security and safety features.
- Risk mitigation: Abiding to these standards limits unnecessary risks for all applicable businesses, communities, facilities and homes. Taking such appropriate measures safe guards against unforeseen circumstances, like in the case of a power outage, having a battery operated backup gate system.
As professionals, knowing and understanding the standards regarding vehicular gate automation is our responsibility. Installing a fully compliant automated gate is essential, regardless of cost and aesthetics. At times we are asked to install gate operators on non-compliant gates. This will not only result in an unsafe installation, it may become a legal liability. Through educating home owners and business/ commercial representatives, our goal is to provide products and service that will make the home or workplace safer, not just secure.